Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sentence

One year probation our probation will consist of monthly check-in w/ probation, a $40 monthly probation fee, Lloyd has to remain employed, (ie he can't quit and we move, he can't do anything that would cause him to lose his job) he has to fill out travel forms to leave Michigan, he will have to do anger management classes, we had to pay $544 in court fees today. The probation officer did tell us that if there are no probation violations it can possibly be reduced to half the time for good behavior. I think this sums it up; we only got to see the report for a couple minutes.

Ann Arbor news was there again so there should be an article in the paper tomorrow. Lloyd didn't comment but I did. I basically said that many people had good intentions at the park but the reactions resulted in poor choices. We accept responsibility and the consequences for our actions. A year of probation will just be another year of emotional Hell. (We will see if anything close to that is in the article.)

Two points that I find frustrating...
  1. Deputy Bourdeau made no victim statement even though she was contacted by probation several times. To me this only further proves my theory that the only people being hurt is our family.
  2. When the prosecutor was given the opportunity to comment on the sentence he basically said they were fine with the sentence because it was an unfortunate situation. I believe the prosecutor and Deputy Bourdeau really don't care about the people whose lives they are making a living hell because they just check off the victory box and wash their hands of it all.
P.S. Lloyd and I both agree maybe I should be the one in anger management after all this!! Who would of thought I don't think I even knew what true anger was before.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Thinking of you guys today. I am not clear on the moving bit? I would call, but I am sure you are asleep or maybe doing wii hula hoop :) LOVE YOU GUYS!!! Wish I was in Michigan will be soooo happy to be home next tuesday, When do you come to Utah? I did buy two booster seats if you don't want to pack some for the boys you are welcome to use them here! My Mom also has a carseat Nora could use! Call me!

SarahJane said...

Thanks for posting this. We'd been thinking and praying for you yesterday.

I hope you have a nice trip out of town and can put some of this behind you for a few weeks.

Michael Schils said...

The deputy's refusal to submit a victim statement is an implied admission that she was not a victim. Hence, there could be no violation. Appeal!

Yeah, I know, you just want to be done with this mess, and I don't blame you.

The deputy should go to "authority management" classes. I wonder why you could only view the probation report for a few minutes. Were you not given a copy in case they want to change something later?

My name above links to my comment on Arbor Update, where I unsuccessfully requested a new thread regarding your incident. I was going to add another comment to that thread and link to your blog, but I remember reading somewhere that you would prefer to keep your blog private. (I don't understand if you were talking about this one, and if so, how did I find it?) So Elaine, I will only link to your blog with your explicit permission.

jenifer said...

love you. emily, i'm with you. this whole story gets me a bit worked up (which, i might add, is hard to do...) so, i'd be happy to join you in anger managment classes. do you think they believe in proxy work?

someday, this will just be a story you tell...

Michael Schils said...

Well I'm certainly embarrassed that I called you "Elaine" when your name is actually "Emily". But my promise still stands that I won't link to your blog unless you give your permission.

Btw, the newspapers picture of your husband is similar to the picture of your attorney. I can't believe it was incidental and not intentional that they decided to publish THAT ONE. They must have had other pics to choose from.

Anonymous said...

Michael,
Originally I made our blog private after the park to try and protect our family. Then I started hearing how we were being used as examples of bad parenting. I really think the worst is out there about our family, so feel free to link to it we have nothing to hide. I did label the post I have done regarding this as legal. I do have some post about this where it is just me being frustrated.

We only had a few minutes because we had to go in the court room. We did receive an e-mail the day before sentencing from the probation officer stating 1 year probation and about $544 in fines and fees.

-Emily

Michael Schils said...

Thanks for the reply, Emily. I was wondering about the "vigilante" crowd at the park who jumped to the wrong conclusion that you had deserted your offspring. Did you have any previous interactions with these people? At the trial, could you sense that there might have been an (undisclosed) relationship between them and the deputy/sheriff's department?

The reason I ask is that it seems strange that this "mob" took such an interest in how you cared for your children. It seems there may be more to the story. (Did one of your kids score a winning goal against their kids' team?, etc.)

(Disclaimer: This is a "prying" question and you are under no obligation to respond. I fully understand why you may not want to compromise any relationships or start any additional conflict by answering this question and nobody should draw any conclusions if you decline to respond.)