Friday, April 29, 2011

I never though I would say this....

Graduation Honor Cords

This is the 2nd time in my life I have owned a pair of these.
Only this time the journey to get them carries 
a much more significant meaning.

3 years ago I was preparing to have our 5th child. Going back to school seemed so very far from feasible. I always knew when I left college to get married and start a family I would go back. I figured it would be after my kids were in school. Still, the dream seemed so far away and though I never would have admitted it I wondered if it would really happen. Then the baby came in July along with postpartum depression. I often heard the words "things won't get worse."  Life can always add more trials to the fire. Standing in the park having a group scream at me that I was lying and telling me I was a horrible mom shattered the little hope I had for life at that moment. The next year was full of  medication, counseling, and learning about our legal system. Finally, the time came to stop reacting to everything and start acting. We didn't know what the future would look like financially for our family. I wanted to feel like I was in control of some piece of life. The seed of going back to school started to grow. I didn't know how it would work. I didn't know if I could be even close to the student I was so many years ago. Life had changed, I had changed. The week before classes started I signed up for 2 night classes. I had so many people step in with the belief I could succeed: professors, family, friends and especially Lloyd. An Associates Degree many not mean much to some but to me it will always mean overcoming what I once thought was impossible.

So, today I say...
THANK-YOU
to the people at the park,
a police officer (who I am sure could care less),
a legal system that demands justice without mercy,
and the Emily of 3 years ago.

2 comments:

Ann said...

You just made me cry.

Congratulations, Em. You are amazing! Truly. Thank you for being a wonderful example of strength in the midst of great trial.

SarahJane said...

Congratulations Emily!