Wednesday, June 1, 2011

School Decisions

 I got a phone call today from a friend asking me about the area schools and my thoughts of charter vs traditional public. FYI: a charter school is still a public school in that they receive public funds just not the same per pupil amount, it is also easier to set more strict rules and to kick a student out of a charter school. Back to my story: this phone call lead me back down a long road that I often still find myself wondering if I am choosing the right road.

Kettering Elementary

My older girls started at Kettering. I believed, and still do believe, if everyone pulls their children from the neighborhood schools then it makes achievement as a school even more difficult.  Allie needed to be in a more structured environment. This was when we first thought ADHD might be a factor. It was hard to leave teachers who I loved but at the time I feel like they did not have the support they needed. This was also my beginning of learning about learning disabilities and advocating for your child.

Fortis Academy

I had options but they were still somewhat limited. I decided the girls would go to Fortis Academy.  They wore uniforms and the structured environment was good for Allie.  I saw a major improvement in academic progress. Emma was succeeding in every educational environment I put her in so I didn't worry about her. Jackson started kindergarten and it became very clear, very quickly he would have similar learning issues as Allie. At this point I learned the difference between the psychological testing a school can do and neuro-psychological testing. ADHD and Dyslexia are medical diagnosis and come through neuro-psych testing. The charter school could provide some supportive services but they did not have a wide base to provide what I felt Allie and Jackson needed. At this time it became clear to me that a more sturctured environment with some supportive help was not going to be enough for Allie. We had been referred to a counselor for possible anxiety and depression. As children get older it is very common for students with ADHD to have anxiety and depression if the right balance of school, medication and life in general isn't found. We found the right medication for Allie and things have improved. At this point we moved into a better neighborhood with a better school district. However, funding is tight everywhere and because it is a smaller school district many programs and staff have been reduced. The haunting question for me was back. Do I send my children to a traditional school district because we live in the boundaries or leave them at the Charter school? There were so many unknown answers.




Then a blessing occurred. A great school district decided to become school of choice. They only opened 6th, 1st and kindergarten. Luckily I had students going into 6th, 1st and kindergarten. But I would have to leave Emma at Fortis for another year. For me this turned into a minimum of an hour and a half in the car in the morning and two hours for after school pick-up. Obviously a time commitment and financial commitment when it came to gas. From the moment the schools got my children's paperwork they have been more than willing to do anything possible to help them succeed. Initial Individual Education Plan (IEP) paperwork was done before the summer even started. When school started in the Fall a support team was ready to go. When formal IEP's were completed I asked a trusted teacher in the school district where we currently live her opinion.  Due to cuts in programs and staff she said our local school district would never be able to provide that type of support and services. Allie has always struggled with friends and early in the school year she was able to make friends who she has continued to maintain the relationship throughout the year. I find myself asking how can I put a price tag on that? We are still searching for how to most effectively help Jackson but I feel like I am just one member on a team working toward a common goal.
Allie's Middle School
To my friend on the phone: I honestly do not know what the best decision is on where to send your child to school. Every opportunity has positives and negatives. I think every child and every family situation is different and what works for one may not work for someone else.

No comments: