Sunday, June 20, 2010
Sitting in someone else's chair
Today we had a special stake conference and Elder David A. Bednar was going to talk. I hoped and prayed that my kids would be good so we could listen. I was even tempted to find out if one of my non-member friends would take the little ones. In preparation I woke-up early so we could get a good seat. We arrived at the Auditorium at 8:30 a.m. everyone happy and ready to start the day. We found what I thought were good seats; the last row in the middle of the first section. I even made sure we were on the end just in case Nora couldn't make it. The meeting was to begin at 10:00 a.m. I brought the camera to take pictures outside while we waited. Lloyd and I took turns going in and out with the kids because 2 hours is a long time to want kids to sit. I was prepared with books, coloring books, and snacks. Very quickly after the meeting started I noticed the woman sitting in front of us would look back and sorta sigh. I was really trying to keep the boys quiet. I will admit they had the wiggles but I thought they were doing a great job. After the first hour and several sighs later the woman said something to her husband, he turned around and politely requested I keep my children from knocking the back of her seat. It was said very politely. I responded I really was trying. Minutes later when I couldn't get the boys to be completly still I left the meeting with the boys to go to the hall where it was difficult to hear anything. I have been trying to decide how I feel. Everyone there wanted a chance to hear one of the 12 apostles. I am sure the woman in front of us wanted to not be disturbed. My problem comes in wondering if because I have small children did it make my efforts to hear Elder Bednar less than someone else. I really wanted my boys to hear Elder Bednar to explain to them we have 12 apostles on the earth just like when Jesus was here. There are so many things regarding faith that you can't touch and today was a chance for them to shake an apostle's hand. The chance of them being that close to one of the apostles again is very slim. I just wonder how I would be feeling if I had been sitting in the other woman's chair.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
i wonder if the "cry" rooms were any better? i heard that they had audio but not visual...i'm sorry that happened to you, most everyone was very nice around us, even when they kept getting "raspberry" juice all over the back of their heads, we couldn't do much about that, and believe me we tried!
That's too bad. Without talking negatively about a person I don't know, I just want to say, we could all use a good lesson in patience. I guess she is still working on that one. Maybe she should have looked at it as a free massage.
It's always interesting to me to see the different reactions from women who have been in our situation, but no longer are (and haven't been for many years). They either seem to be extremely sweet and helpful and compassionate or they seem to have forgotten everything about what it's like to have small children. Either that or they have warped memories where they truly believe that their children never behaved in this manner.
2 hours is a long time. And you were there for 3 1/2. That's a huge accomplishment in and of itself. (One that I consider extremely impressive, by the way.)
Every time I have an experience like this, I try to lock away another promise to myself that I am going to be like the first example, not like the second when I'm past this phase in my life.
Next time thank them for noticing the problem at hand and ask if they'd like to lend you a hand since you only have two and they have four. You have plenty of kids to go around, to juggle and one of them would certainly like a better view - since the ladies big head was obviously in Nora's way. Remember she really can't see very far and can't see at all with that adult blocking her view.
Another idea would be to offer to switch seats - you get a better seat and the lady in front stops getting her free butt massage. With several helping kids, you could quickly make it to the front row with this game! ;)
Another suggestion is be you - stand strong, don't give in and stay where you are. If they don't want the butt massage then they can go sit in the hall and enjoy the quiet and the couch while you get what you came for!
Elisabeth
Elisabeth, you are awesome! I love your advice.
Post a Comment