Friday, January 23, 2009

Nothing changed, Everything changed

This seems to be the story of my life.
At least the last now seven months.
I have really tried to keep one foot in front of the other.
At least to some extent.
But this one seems like a thousand pound weight dropped.
This sweet babe has been a calm in the storm.
When she was 2 months old she started getting rashes.
This was the same time that we had to start formula,
I wanted to nurse her but the cards were stacked against me.
I asked the pediatrician about the rash.
Dry skin, use cream and hydorcortozone for bad spots.
At six months we started cereal.
I noticed about an hour after she ate her cheeks were all red.
Then later she would have a rash on her face.
Wednesday I took her to our favorite asthma, allergy, immunology doctor.
After working with Reuben since he was 9 months old he know us well.
I figured he would give me a better cream.
I am not sure how I came to that conclusion.
Dr. Leo said we should do some initial allergy testing,
we didn't really expect any results because
as far as we know allergies aren't in the family.
We did the poke test.
Horrible!! Holding your baby flat for 5 minutes while she cries.
Then she could sit up but not have anything touch her back for 10 minutes.
Have you ever watched a six month old try to scratch their back?
SAD. SAD. SAD!!
Initial results, deep breath, another deep breath,
allergic to milk, eggs, wheat and peanuts.
Really???
Dr. Leo ordered blood work. He said sometimes babies will have
false positive test.
My response was pregnancy test are NEVER false positive!
None the less... off to have blood drawn.
I can do shots but I HATE blood draws on babies!
We will know more on January 30th.
Until then nothing has changed but EVERYTHING has changed!

4 comments:

Ann said...

I'm so sorry, Em. I hope the tests come back negative. Poor baby....I hate testing! I think it's almost harder on the mom. Good luck with everything....let us know when you know the results! :)

Kari said...

Ugh! What a hard thing to go through!! I'm so sorry for both you and her you had to go through that! Let's hope for the best!

I have a friend in Colorado who's little girl had about the same allergies, but the doctor said most children - if the allergies are caught and treated before the age of 3 will outgrow them. So maybe that will be the case for your cute baby?

Sending you lots of (((HUGS)))!

Tammy said...

Good luck with this one! She'll learn to love fruits, veggies, rice and corn. We love you!

CommonMama said...

My friends daughter had similar results and she has outgrown some of them, some were false positives and some they are learning to cope with. I am so sorry that this has been added to your already full plate!